Sunday, November 15, 2009

Do I have to cut my afro-relaxed hair short, in order to go back to natural? Or is there another way

I had natural hair up till I was 19. I've relaxed it now for 4 years but I'm contemplating going back to my roots. My hair is long so Im scared of losing its length in the process but I'm more confident now that I can find interesting styles to wear once it is natural. Help me!



Do I have to cut my afro-relaxed hair short, in order to go back to natural? Or is there another way?

No you do not have to go and chop off all the relaxed hair at once. You could cut the relaxed portions off an inch at a time if that made it easier for you. Wear your hair in a bun and cut it every month. You can also wash your hair at night, braid it up then take it down in the morning so the relaxer hair matches your natural texture. Or you can get braids. Doing a big chop like that is hard, I shaved my head twice and wanted to die each time.



Do I have to cut my afro-relaxed hair short, in order to go back to natural? Or is there another way?

Yes the only way to go back to natural is to cut off the relaxed part of your hair. I would suggest not getting perm for a few months, to allow your roots to grow out natural and unrelaxed, and also using a shampoo with balsam in it, because balsam will strip some of the perm from your hair causing it to revert to an almost natural state. You can also take vitamins such as prenatal vitamins and/or hair and nail vitamins to promote growth while you wait for your roots to grow out. I would also suggest washing frequently and massaging your scalp with conditioner to stimulate blood circulation and growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment